Monday, January 29, 2007

Compromise

I've been thinking a lot about compromises this week. Everyone says that a marriage is all about compromises -- and that's the truth!

For example, on Saturday, my husband asked me to go with him to a Mixed Martial Arts fight (Rumble in Rahway). Now, we've both been taking Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for about 6 months now, so I do have a background in the sport, and 2 of the competitors were from our dojo. However, seeing 2 guys climb into a cage (yes, CAGE) and fight - box, kickbox, grapple - was not my idea of a fun Saturday night out! But my husband is such a great guy and helps me out so much, I decided to go with him. Much to my surprise, I had a great time! And both of the guys from our dojo won their matches!

What I'm trying to point out here, is that compromise can lead you to unexpected experiences that you really enjoy. And, believe me, compromises don't start after you're married. It's important to open those lines of communication during your engagement - after all, the bride is not the only one of the pair getting married! Discuss all the decisions with each other, and you may just be surprised at the wonderful outcome. Maybe the china pattern isn't the bride's first choice, but with the groom's imput, it will be perfect for your couple's dining room. Perhaps the venue for your reception wouldn't have been on the top of your list, but maybe the one you find together will exceed your expectations. Just listen to each other, and be willing to compromise.

Until next time, happy planning...

No comments: