Monday, February 12, 2007

"Day Of" Coordinator

I get many, many inquiries from brides for a "day of" coordinator. While this term has been popularized in the media, it really has no meaning -- or application -- in the bridal industry.

What? Of course a "day of" coordinator just can be hired to supervise everything you've planned to make sure your day runs perfectly smoothly. All that person needs to do is look over your notes and contracts, maybe attend your rehearsal so s/he can meet the key members of the wedding party and, voila, your day will be flawless. Oh, and for such magical service (consisting of maybe 12 hours of work), the fee should be somewhere around $500-$800. Right? WRONG!

What I'm about to say may be controversial, but it's true. No one can provide this type of service. Or, rather, those that claim to do so are not professionals, nor do they provide a service.

A wedding coordinator is the couple's advocate on their wedding day. The coordinator "speaks" for the bride and groom on such issues as reception room set up, musical requests, spotlight dances, entree service, etc. Just one of the jobs I do during a wedding is answer a myriad of questions from all of the vendors about how "Sue & Dave" want this particular item carried out. I speak for my clients so that they do not have to be bothered on their big day. Who wants to be taken off the dance floor to be asked whether the main course should be served in 10 minutes?

In order for me properly to be able to respond to these questions, I have to know my client's wishes. The only way I feel comfortable in knowing my client's wishes is to have spent quality time with them going over their dreams for their wedding. Therefore, about 1 month before the wedding, I create the wedding day timeline and meet with my client to go over all the details. I also attend the final meetings with the vendors who will be providing service on their wedding day, such as the reception hall, entertainment, photographer, etc. I then coordinate with all of these vendors the week of the wedding, so that everyone is on the same page. In this way, I feel as if I have learned about my client and am confident that I can speak on their behalf on their big day.

I am not alone in speaking out against the term "day of" coordinator. At the last ABC Conference in Colorado Springs, we had a big brainstorming session about it, and the consensus was that most everyone's "day of" package is really a "month of" service. Keep in mind that professional wedding planners gladly will assist you with the finishing touches for your wedding, but that we need to know your wishes in order for you to receive the best benefit of our services. Which is why "day of" coordination is a misnomer at best, and a potential disservice to you at its worst.

Until next time, happy planning ...

No comments: