Monday, April 16, 2007

Class over!

I just finished teaching a course at the Montclair Adult School, titled "The Art of Planning Exceptional Events." I had 13 students in my class and, over the 4-week session, we covered all sorts of topics related to event and wedding planning. Everyone really enjoyed themselves, and started (or continued) their education into this exciting field.

In teaching this course, I learned a lot as well. I was forced to "break down" the many different areas involved in planning so that I could explain them to the class. In so doing, I was reminded why certain steps have to be taken first, rather than just jumping into the whole planning process at once. While my students gained an introductory education into planning, I also gained a deeper understanding of the "art" as well as the "science" of planning major milestones. And, I believe, I became a better wedding planner by being forced to think through all of the steps and details!

Of course, seeking education is important. For those just starting in the wedding planning industry, the best thing to do is take courses and learn how to run your business. For those of us who have been doing planning for a while, taking courses is equally important because you always are learning!

Until next time, happy planning ...

No comments: