Monday, July 30, 2007

Budget-Busters

I've been doing a lot of weddings this season, and one constant -- no matter the size of the budget -- is the concern about money and expenses that seems to grow exponentially as the wedding day draws nearer. Given the amount of money being spent for the wedding, I can totally understand my clients' concerns; the average wedding in my neck of the woods is about $40,000. However, budgeting from the beginning, and being disciplined enough to stick to the budget, is the key to relieving this sort of stress at the 11th hour.

As soon as a client hires me for full-service assistance, I give them a survey that I've created over the years. This survey asks all sorts of questions, from the general (how much do you have to spend on your wedding?) to the specific (do you want disposable cameras at your wedding?). This survey helps me create what I've deemed an "engagement blueprint." Based on their answers, I develop a budget that breaks down the overall amount into each vendor category. That way, when I recommend vendors, I only recommend those that fit within their budgetary parameters. And, every month, I send out an email that includes an updated budget based upon actual, contracted amounts.

That said, clients still go over-budget. Why, you ask? Human nature!! Really, when a client goes and meets with a band, for example, I remind them of their budget for music for everything (ceremony, cocktail hour and reception). The entertainment company also asks for this figure so they only show the bands that fit within their budget. But, of course, they are salespeople and they show the 8-piece band that is totally fantastic and fits right in their budget. The next thing, though, is they show the same band with an extra percussionist, horn section and singer, making it a 12-piece band -- the couple falls in love with them and hires them, knowing they are over their budget but figuring they will "make it up" with another vendor. But they never do!

So, my advice is to figure out how much you have to spend on your wedding from all sources -- parents, grandparents, your own savings, etc. Take that total number and divide it among all of the vendors that will be involved in your wedding, leaving a line for "misc." and another one for "tips." Then, try your hardest to stick within each line item!!! As time goes on, it gets more difficult to "make up" any overages and then you find yourself stressing about money the day before you walk down the aisle. I'll write more about this topic next time.

Until then, happy planning...

No comments: