Monday, October 8, 2007

"Substitute Planner"

This weekend, I was asked to take over a wedding and be the wedding planner by another planner who had a family emergency come up. I received the request on Thursday night, followed by an email of the wedding day timeline and a conversation with the bride and groom on Friday morning. Under the circumstances, the bride and groom were very understanding and spent some precious time with me going over the fine details of their plans. I also spoke with all of the vendors and confirmed last minute issues. Then, Friday night I attended the rehearsal and Saturday was their wonderful, beautiful wedding.

I have to admit, it was rather difficult stepping in at the last minute and trying to grasp everything that needed to be accomplished in such a sort time frame. It was rewarding, as well, when the bride and groom entrusted me with their details and I made sure they came to life. The newlyweds were able to relax during their celebration and enjoy their day - leaving all the logistical issues to me. And their thank you's at the end of the night let me know that they truly appreciated their "substitute planner."

It certainly was flattering to be contacted by another planner to take over and represent her during this wedding celebration. Being recognized by another, highly respected, professional in my field and having her trust me to carry out her plans was gratifying.

This experience, however, certainly pointed out some important issues that you need to keep in mind when you're planning your own wedding. Of utmost importance, you should ask your wedding planner about her back-up should something unforeseen occur. My backups are other wedding planners that I know through the Association of Bridal Consultants -- and my assistant for the wedding. I always work with an assistant, someone who is learning about how to become a wedding planner, and that person is well-versed on the wedding beginning about 1 month prior. So, having a more experienced planner coupled with my assistant - or even my assistant becoming the lead on the wedding day - means that each one of my clients is well cared for on their special day should something happen to me.

Until next time, happy planning...

No comments: